About Kim S.
MCPS Reading Specialist, Orton-Gillingham trained
I specialize in teaching students with reading challenges and English language learners. I believe in following the child. With careful observations and assessments, I base my tutoring lessons on what I see the child needs to learn, and is ready to learn, in order to progress.
I am trained as a Reading Recovery teacher and ESOL teacher, and have 21 years of experience both in the classroom and more recently as a Reading Specialist/Literacy Coach. I completed the 30-hour comprehensive Orton-Gillingham training. I also train teachers and teach graduate classes in reading methods. I have developed and taught courses for MCPS teachers.
90 (80 if you come to my home in Bethesda) per hour
- Experience (years teaching/tutoring) :21
- Educational History: Education Qualification: graduate Undergraduate College: Mount Holyoke College Undergraduate Major: International Relations Graduate College: The Johns Hopkins University Graduate Type Of Degree: Master of Arts in Teaching Second Graduate College: McDaniel College Second Graduate Type Of Degree: certificate program in Equity and Excellence in Education
What tutor enjoys knowing prior to session:
- Student’s academic needs (subject area)
- Student’s learning style
- Student’s interests - what do they like to do outside of school?
- Student’s grade/age
Preferred Age Group:
- Elementary K-5
- Middle 6-8
- Hourly Rate: $90 (80 if you come to my home in Bethesda)
TUTOR PREFERS TO HAVE SESSIONS
- Location I Select
Tutor prefers the following payment methods:
- Cash on Site
- Check on Site