Hi there! Ms. M. here: I currently teach 4th and 5th grade Reading, Writing, Social Studies and Science, for Special Education students, at a DCPS elementary school in NW, Washington, D.C. While my biggest passion is literature, I have previously taught PreK through 5th grade in all subjects (Math, Reading, Writing, Science, Social Studies, and Social-Emotional, Behavioral and Executive Functioning skills). I love tutoring, as much as I love my job as a differentiating instructor, because it enables me to cater my instruction to the individual interests and needs of a particular student. Every student learns differently and has different passions. I have always loved crosswords and puzzles, and for me, figuring out how to teach each of my students is like solving another puzzle!
When I am not teaching, I enjoy playing and hiking with my Golden Retriever, Buster, watching movies, doing trivia with my friends, and reading books for my many book groups.
I have a Bachelor of Arts in English, a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, and a Juris Doctorate. Additionally, I am a certified Wilson Reading System instructor (phonics program designed for students with dyslexia) and a certified dyslexia specialist. In my role, as a Special Education teacher and case manager, I have worked with students with ADHD, Autism, Specific Learning Disabilities, Dysgraphia, Dyslexia, Emotional Disturbances and Anxiety, and Hearing and Language Impairments. I have received a Highly Effective rating every year that I have taught and I have a proven track record of closing the achievement gap for ELL, low-income, and Special Education students. I was nominated for Teacher of the Year in 201y.
I know that Distance Learning this year has been challenging! Don’t worry, I can help.
75 per hour
- Experience (years teaching/tutoring) :10
- Educational History: Education Qualification: undergraduate Undergraduate College: University of Rochester Undergraduate Major: English and Political Science Graduate College: Wake Forest University School of Law Graduate Type Of Degree: Juris Doctorate Second Graduate College: Fitchburg State University Second Graduate Type Of Degree: Dyslexia Certification Program
What tutor enjoys knowing prior to session:
- Student’s academic needs (subject area)
- Student’s learning style
- Student’s interests - what do they like to do outside of school?
- Student’s grade/age
- Hourly Rate: $75
TUTOR PREFERS TO HAVE SESSIONS
Tutor prefers the following payment methods:
- Primary (Kindergarten- Grade 2)
- Upper Elementary (Grades 3-5)
- Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- High School (Grades 9-12)